Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Ouch!

The weather this week is wonderful, so I've been outside trying to get the yard ready for Spring planting. Last year we let our backyard get a little out of control, so last night The Toddler* and I did a little weed pulling. The yard near the back of our house wasn't bad, just a few weeds that willingly left the ground with a slight tug. However, the further we ventured from the back door the more dangerous the mission became. I've never seen plants this scary before outside of sci-fi films and deep jungle documentaries. Tall, thick and pointy vegetation that screamed danger lined our fence. Gloves couldn't even keep the thorns out of my hands. Trying to rid our lawn of that forest was bad enough, without discovering the blanket of goat heads covering the back quarter of our yard. Unfortunately, there were a few puncture vines hiding among the tree like weeds and dense trailing plants.

I did a little research and it seems I have three options of getting rid of these spiny little land mines.

1. Spray chemicals containing 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid ("2,4-D"), glyphosate, and dicamba.
2. Buy two weevils, (Microlarinus lareynii and M. lypriformis) to lay eggs in the noxious weeds.
3. Get after 'em with a blow torch!


Have you had a run in with these annoying little balls of pain? I'd love to know how you got rid of them. I'm thinking we might light up the yard sometime soon. I have a garden to plant!



Have a happy day!
Shala


*I didn't actually let The Toddler touch any weeds. They were too scary. She went down her slide and blew bubbles instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment