Thursday, April 11, 2013

Do It Yourself


 Summer is quickly approaching and many people will be starting home improvement projects soon. They are usually done more easily during the summer. On my list of things to do, redo the bathroom and our backyard. The only problem is that I am on a budget, so these have become DIY projects without the high end finishes I would like. Although bathroom remodels, and back yard landscaping may seem like a nice idea, the end result requires a lot more money and time than you would think.

The DIY world is made out to be fun, easy, and affordable. I guess that depends on your definition of affordable. DIY is becoming more and more popular. There are many TV shows, websites, and even local supply store workshops to see, but before you tear up your bathroom floor, or demolish your old backyard play set, be sure to think things through. First, make sure you have enough time. I tend to always think I have more than enough time to finish a project and before I even realize it, it has been 2 weeks that I have been living with a torn up bathroom floor. Projects are always time consuming, and things like bad weather, busy schedules and budgets can make them take even longer. Next, make sure you budget  for cost. Renovation projects have a reputation for costing more than planned, as there are often surprises that come up. You will also want to look into what tools are needed for your renovation. DIY channel makes it look like everyone owns a router, or sander, but the reality is they don't. The job will be a lot more complicated without the right tools. Lastly, start out with small DIY projects, and build up from there. Happy DIY projects! Wish me Luck. I am gonna need it!

-Jamie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment