Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Time for Traditions

It's that time of year for traditions.  I was raised on holiday traditions, and I think it's important that everyone has those certain things they do every year around this time.  This weekend will be full of traditions for me, beginning with Thanksgiving.  Of course there will be the usual turkey grazing and football watching, but every Thanksgiving evening my girlfriend demands we watch "Christmas Vacation," because that is her family's Thanksgiving tradition.  It also happens to tie in perfectly with my recently added ritual of hunting for a REAL Christmas tree the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  Growing up in my family we always had fake Christmas trees, but since I moved to Colorado I started going up into the mountains every year with my family, friends, and their families to hunt for a live tree.  It's so pretty and fun to hike through the mountains when it's slightly snowy and not too cold yet.  If you're interested, get your permit HERE! I also really enjoy jamming out to Christmas tunes on the way up the mountain, just like the Griswolds :)  Last year we even got in a car accident on the way back from getting our tree...that was a little too much like "Christmas Vacation" for me.  On Sunday, we'll decorate the house and the tree.  This involves the popular custom of Hide the Pickle, and drinking a little egg nog with brandy.  I can't wait for Thanksgiving this year, as my parents will also be in town to enjoy all of these traditions with me.  So, here's to holiday traditions!  Anyone have any unique traditions?

Happy Thanksgiving,
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment