Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Walk This Way

I don't remember where I heard this, but the other day I was listening to a podcast and I tuned in exactly when a man was describing the fact that no two people in the world walk exactly the same way.  He also said that your walk may actually be used some day as a unique identifier in airports or other agencies.  I thought this was really interesting so I decided to see if I can find some more information that explains how this has been studied and how your walk might be used in the future to identify you.  In order to better understand this article you might need to be familiar with the following terms:

Biometric Systems - methods for uniquely recognizing humans based upon one or more intrinsic physical or behavioral traits. In computer science, in particular, biometrics is used as a form of identity access management and access control. It is also used to identify individuals in groups that are under surveillance.

Gait - the pattern of movement of the limbs of animals, including humans, during locomotion over a solid substrate.  In other words, your walk!

Here's the article, enjoy!: http://techbiometric.com/articles/how-gait-analysis-has-emerged-as-tool-for-biometric-identification/

Ta ta for now,
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment