Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Freezer Food Mania!


For as long as I've been on my own I've struggled with buying and making too much food and not eating it before it goes bad. I think it comes from having a big family growing up. A pot of spaghetti for six people is WAY too much for two adults and a toddler. I've gotten better over the years, but I still have issues.

Last weekend I was searching for a Microsoft Access database I could use to store recipes, create meal plans and generate shopping lists, (hoping it would help my food woes). I found a few, but they were hard to get the hang of and weren't super user friendly. Just as I was about to give up and resort to a plain old Excel file I found the coolest website for storing recipes, planning meals and generating shopping lists! It does have a subscription cost, but it's well worth it in my opinion.

After spending time adding recipes, figuring out a meal plan and generating a shopping list I spent an arm and a leg much at three different grocery stores and hit the kitchen. Armed with my new waffle iron (thanks mom), griddle, oven and not enough mixing bowls I got to work. I ended up making around 50 waffles, 30 something pancakes, three batches of herbed dumplins, enough biscuits for four meals, a jar full of soft pretzel sticks and two lasagnas. All portioned out and in the freezer :)

With luck, my new favorite website and a freezer full of premade food will help keep things simple and, hopefully, save us a little moolah.



Happy Wednesday!
-Shala-

No comments:

Post a Comment