Thursday, January 31, 2013

Long commute? Not me!



Hello Everyone,
I am the newest employee to Old Will Knott Scales. I have been here almost 2 months, and I am really enjoying it. The thing I enjoy the most is that it is only 10 minutes from my house!! That is great compared to the 1 hour and 15 minute commute I did last year!

According to a study published in 2012 in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, the longer people drive to work, the more likely they are to have poor health.
"This is the first study to show that people who commute long distances to work were less fit, weighed more, were less physically active and had higher blood pressure," said Christine M. Hoehner, a public health professor at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis and the study's lead author.”

Since I started working here, I have noticed less stress, and more time to do healthy activities like run, eat healthy homemade dinners, attend exercise classes, and hang out with friends and family. All of these things are good for your health! I know not everyone can have a 10 minute commute to work, but consider the toll your long commute may be taking on you, and ask yourself if the money, position, etc. is worth the things that your long commute might take from you.
So, if you have a short commute to work, be thankful, and take advantage of your extra time. If you do not, try to find time elsewhere in your days, to get a walk in. Also consider packing and making healthy meals for the whole week on the weekend. That way after a long day, you won’t settle for fast food for lack of time. Have a great day! Make the best of your time. Life is too short to waste.


Jamie J

No comments:

Post a Comment