Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Meal in a Jar

I really like eating salad for lunch. It's healthy, fairly cheap and doesn't make my afternoon all sleepy. The problem I have is it takes time to prepare every night and if I make a week's worth ahead of time, my plastic containers take up too much room in the fridge. I know mason jar meals have been popular for a while now, but I've never tried it. Since I now have an overabundance of large glass jars in my pantry, I think it's time.

If you look online for meals and salads in a jar you'll find tons of recipes and good advice. I found a particularly helpful image that I might end up printing for quick reference...


Salad in a jar instructions: dressing at the bottom, then the hearty bits, the lighter bits, and greens on top to keep from getting soggy. Mix and match: Greens: arugula, spinach or lettuce. // Lighter bits: quinoa, seeds, mushrooms, walnuts, sliced almonds, mandarin oranges, broccoli, tomatoes, red onion, sprouts, corn, strawberries, apple slices, peas, pine nuts // Hearty bits: carrots, beans, edamame, radishes, green beans, cucumber, bell pepper, wheat berries, chickpeas // Dressing.


Happy Wednesday!

-Shala-

No comments:

Post a Comment