Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Too Many Tomatoes

A few weeks back I posted about how I started some tomato seeds. Well, I let The Toddler do most of the planting and I didn't keep a super close eye on how many seeds she put in each container. Now that they've started to sprout I'm afraid I'm going to have more plants than I have room for. This morning I counted 16 sprouts. Since you can get up to 20 pounds of tomatoes from one plant, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to keep up with more than three. I'm quite positive I'm going to be in the same predicament with the jalapenos and broccoli we planted, too. Maybe I should set up a booth at the market to get rid of some? I addition to having an awesome garden this year, I'm also going to attempt to save seeds from the vegetables that grow. Did you know you have to ferment most seeds, so they'll be able to germinate when planted? Fermentation occurs in nature when the fruit ripens and rots, but you can do it at home by placing seeds, pulp and water in a jar for several days. Fermentation gets rid of the protective coating that surrounds the seeds and kills diseases that live on the surface of the seeds. Springs almost here and I can't wait for the warm weather! Happy Wednesday! -Shala-

No comments:

Post a Comment