Thursday, September 01, 2011

Right Tool for the Job

Hey There,

Well the other day, Shala and I were doing a bit of landscaping in our front yard. We had cut some landscaping timbers and cut a narrow trench around the weird "garden" thing in our front yard, and buried them half way to separate it from the grass. Well, we decided to shorten each one, cut angles at the joints, and add some short, vertical pieces to dress it up a little. As I was cutting the angles with my fancy pants compound, sliding miter saw, I realized that just a few years ago, I was doing the same type of work with a hand saw and a miter box, which is just a piece plastic with slits cut at different angles to achieve your goals of straight or diagonal cuts. It's great being able to turn what would have been a 7 minute cut into 2 seconds. And the fact that I made about 8 cuts turned 56 minutes of cutting (and a sore arm) into 16 seconds of cutting (and a big pile of sawdust). I picked up my saw at a local Harbor Freight with a coupon and kicked myself for not doing it years sooner.

That's just one example. There are still many more tools on my wishlist that I plan on packing into my tiny 1 and a half car garage. Having the right tools for the job is extremely helpful, but can lead to a messy garage. Sorry car, I but my Snap-On tool box, and garage sale special power tools just aren't as water proof as you are.

Bye,

Ruben

No comments:

Post a Comment