Thursday, October 20, 2011

Hog Wild! Uh..I mean Wild Hog.

I have been wanting to do some hunting lately, and because Colorado does everything it can to stop you from going with nonsense rules and weird drawings and crazy expensive fees, and impossible to navigate public land systems, I have decided my hunting shall take place in the great state of Oklahoma. I have my lifetime hunting/fishing combo so they welcome me back any time. Feral hogs are becoming a problem in Oklahoma so hunting is open year round with loose (if any) regulations. And the following news story just gave me that little extra push over the cliff:

"RUSH SPRINGS, Oklahoma (NBC) -- A hunter has described the moment he slayed an 800 pound wild pig with a crossbow.
Brown says he had seen the animal's tracks before but had never spotted the pig itself.
Winston Brown was in Rush Springs, Oklahoma, when he was confronted by the beast.“It looked like a cow coming from the other end. It came up and the deer ran off.”
Springing into action Brown, who was perched in a tree, fired his crossbow at the animal.
“The first arrow struck the shoulder plate,” he said.
“He kind of grunted real loud and started popping his teeth. He turned and faced me. I think if I had been on the ground and he could have seen me, it would have probably been ugly.”
Despite falling to the ground, the hog sprang back to life as Brown clambered down from his position, armed with his last arrow.
He took aim once more, shooting him through both lungs and finally killing him.
The intrepid hunter is now set to have his prey stuffed and mounted on the wall.
According to the State Department of Agriculture, wild hogs are a problem in the state, with thousands roaming the countryside destroying crops and disrupting wildlife.

“We would love to get rid of them in any way we can without harming other animals or the environment,” said Dr. Rod Hall, Oklahoma Veterinarian".

They are carnivorous, can be dangerous if cornered and will attack.

KSN.com


Density map of feral hogs in Oklahoma and Texas:


No comments:

Post a Comment