Thursday, May 26, 2011

Check under that rock.

To the outdoor enthusiast,

If any of you live here in Colorado, you may already know that if you wish to hunt any big game, it can be a lengthy process if you don't own any private land or at the very least, a lease.  But the close of season for most popular animals is here and although to most hunters it may be the off season, for some, it is just the beginning.  June 15th is the start of season for the prairie rattlesnake!  I've only been in close contact with a handful of rattlesnakes in my day, but I do plan to try my hand in catching a few this year.  I’ve invited some people to come with and so far the only takers are Trevor, and possibly Dale. 
The daily bag limit is 3 snakes and total possession is 6.  I plan on constructing a fancy-pants snake hook out of some used gardening tools, as well as a storage tank consisting of a 10 gallon bucket, a pillow case, and a bungee cord to keep it closed.  I haven’t decided on my method of take yet but I’ll decide when I get there.  I will have with me a hook and bucket (because a live take will yield the most usable meat and skin), a hatchet, and a .22LR semi-auto rifle in case things get hairy.  I think some thick leather, possibly rubber boots may not be a bad idea either. 
Stay tuned for pics of our catch and eventually some snakeskin crafts.   Leave comments if you’d like to learn more.
A few things to note about rattlesnakes are that they can strike about 3/4 of their total body length.  This means 8 footers can getcha from 6 feet away!  It is a good thing that the Prairie Rattler usually only gets to 3-4 feet.  Also, after killing a snake, you should still stay away from the head for about 24 hours because they still have some reflex functions after death and you can still be bitten and injected with venom long after death. Extreme caution should always be used.  Have fun, be safe, and don’t get bitten!
Please note that Old Will Knott Scales and its employees do not suggest being anywhere near a venomous snake (or anything that bites, stings, falls, catches fire, or explodes, etc.) at any time.

Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment