Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Yum?

I've made a lot of resolutions this year and one of them is to eat more raw foods. The longer and hotter you cook something, the more nutrients and enzymes you take away from it. So, if you want the most out of what you eat, raw is the way to go. Now that does not mean you should go gnaw on a raw steak, that wouldn't be safe. It does mean you should eat as many fruits and veggies as you can without cooking them. Since most people are accustomed to eating the majority of their food hot, this can be quite a challenge for some. I learned that one great way to add more raw food into your diet is to drink a green or raw food shake. They aren't hard to make. You basically blend together greens like kale and spinach with herbs, fruits and other healthy stuff. Some people put supplements in theirs, but it's not required.

I made one this morning. It looks really gross. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure it tastes really gross, too. The good thing is, since I don't have to chew it, I can just chug it down if it's really disgusting. Wish me luck!

Here's what I mixed:
handful of purple kale
handful of spinach
1 cup of green tea
two handfuls of mixed berries (blueberries, cherries, pomegranate arils and black raspberries)


And this is what I got:












Do you have a favorite recipe? I'd love to try out different concoctions; I plan on drinking one of these bad boys a day.


Bottoms up!
-Shala


PS. Here's a video I wanted to share about raw foods and their impact on health. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment