Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Eating Chia Pets?

My Mom recently introduced me to Chia seeds.  Being a nurse, she is always on top of the latest health trends.  Now, more than ever I find it really annoying that what to eat and what not to eat is always changing.  It's like technology, there's just no way a person can keep up! Well, when my Mom recommends easy and tasty ways for me to get healthy and stay healthy, I listen.  Like most people, the only thing I knew about Chia is the novelty of the Chia Pet™, clay animals covered with sprouted Chia seeds. However, these tiny seeds actually have endless amounts of nutritional value.  Basic health benefits include:
  • The wonder seed contains high amounts of omega 3 fatty acids that are good for the heart.
  • They contain dietary fibers that help in cleansing the body and eliminated wastes in a quick way. They also control your appetite and prevent you from eating too much.
  •   The seeds have loads of vitamins that strengthen the immune system and minerals too for the formation of the muscle and the bones.
  • Antioxidants are also present which are responsible for the repair of the tissues and cells in the body. They also slow down the aging process. 
I eat anywhere from 1-4 tablespoons of Chia seeds each day.  I like them most in my cereal or oatmeal in the morning, but depending on what I have planned for the day I like to add a few to my dinner, or even just to a glass of water.  They have no taste, and they aren't even crunchy, so you can really add them to just about anything.  Here are some great resources about the Chia seed, enjoy! - 


Happy eating, 
Allison 

No comments:

Post a Comment