Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Ahhh, Nuts!

This week's topic in my Organizational Management class is "Social Responsibility."  Social Responsibility refers to a business's duty to society and community, although it's debated that there is even such a thing.  Well, I certainly agree with the way business today is changing, and I do think we owe it to society to innovate and create programs that encourage sustainability.  So, it got me thinking; what can we do here at OldWillKnottScales to make a positive impact on society?   Upon my initial examination, there really wasn't much...and then it hit me. I stare right at a huge pile of Styrofoam peanuts everyday.   Now, I wouldn't consider myself a super tree hugger, but I do know that Styrofoam is not exactly an environmentally friendly material.  So, I did some research for recyclable packaging materials and discovered two alternatives.  There is such a thing as Eco-foam peanuts, which are made from starch and other food-based products.  Eco-foam peanuts are heavier, water soluble, non-toxic, and non-static, but far more costly.  The other alternative is PaperNuts, and you guessed it - they are made from 100% recycled material.  Paper peanuts are tough enough to provide the cushion we need to keep your products safe, and they're static free, clean, safe, non-polluting, and low in particulates.  To my surprise, customers actually prefer paper peanuts as well; check out this case study I found.  Of course I have more research to do on cost and availability, but tell me what you think - Should OldWill switch to PaperNuts?


Happy Recycling,
Allison




No comments:

Post a Comment